How would you describe your perfect house?
Whether your family—or your dream home—is new to the market, the experienced real estate agents at Donovan & Wye can help you navigate the market and make smart decisions quickly.
The first step in finding the perfect home for sale in Chevy Chase, D.C. and beyond is to define what “perfect” means to you. The following questions should help you prioritize what matters in your next home (or you can print the Property Wish List here).
Define Your Home Style
Most people have pretty firm feelings about single-family, rowhouse, or condo living, and it all comes down to budget, how close you want your neighbors to be, and how much maintenance and upkeep you want to be responsible for. Rank your preferences in order of preference.
Size-up Your Current Space
Whether you are downsizing or looking for more room for your growing family, when it comes to houses, size definitely matters. Look around at your current house and answer the following questions.
- What spaces are being under-utilized?
- Which rooms are bursting at the corners?
- How would a different-sized home make your life easier? In what ways?
- What is the minimum number of bedrooms that would bring this happy result?
Everyone has a favorite room in the house—a place where they love to spend time, entertain, unwind, and (or) get creative.
- Where do you spend the most time in your home right now?
- Is it your favorite?
- Are your preferences house-specific or you-specific?
- What would you be thrilled to see in your next home?
- What would be an instant deal killer?
Think outside the walls
To some extent, houses can be modified to meet your needs. Neighborhoods, on the other hand, are fairly fixed.
- What does an “ideal” neighborhood look, feel, and sound like to you?
- How engaged are you in your surroundings now? Is that likely to change when you move?
- Do you prefer shops within walking distance or would you rather have a bigger departure from the bustle?
- How much do you enjoy spending time outside?
Bring in the budget
Whenever you talk about ideal homes for sale in Chevy Chase, D.C.—or, really, anywhere in the country—you absolutely need to talk about price. The cost of living can vary tremendously wherever you go, and just because you have the perfect dream house in mind doesn’t mean you can afford it (or that it actually exists in your favorite neighborhood). That’s why prioritizing your needs and wants is a critical part of the home-buying process—so that you can find what’s really important and be pleasantly thrilled when a house hits on the other notes.
Ready to combine your list with the experts at Donovan and Wye? So are we! Reach out and connect here.
Need more resources? We’ve got those, too. Click here for all of our buyer-related articles, tips, and resources.